Time is money!
What drains your time in food service and how to stop it
Is time really money? Yes, it is – in a sense at least. Read more to discover what this means in hotels and hospitality. We have general tips on how to save time and we look at how commercial dishwashing machines can help.
What does time mean in places designed for spending it: In bars and restaurants. Places where you meet friends for a drink or some good food. Places where time shouldn't matter and people are just there to savor the goods and the good conversation. In those places, time is business, plain and simple.
Time never stands still for the people running the restaurant. The clock ticks mercilessly on. Time is a significant factor of production and it is worth cold, hard cash. That is true for all businesses. Hotels, restaurants and catering venues are no exception. Globalization and the digital revolution have intensified competition, turning time into one of the most valuable resources available. That is just as true of the food service sector as it is of other sectors. The question is: what should hotel owners and food-service entrepreneurs be doing about it?
It is usually the little things the drain time; the things you don't notice in day-to-day business. And yet, these tiny problems accumulate to erode your profits.
Are you saving yet or still investing? Tips to help you save time in your hospitality business:
- Have workspaces and workflows designed by professionals? Evaluate everything on a regular basis – there is always something you can improve!
- Set fixed delivery times with your suppliers. Receiving your deliveries within set windows avoids the chaos of an unexpected delivery and the stress of not knowing when your order will arrive. And it saves time.
- Publish your menu on your website and social media and make sure you update it to include seasonal changes. You should also publish your daily or weekly specials menus here.
- Never walk away empty handed: every time you visit a table, see what you can clear away.
- Use a kitchen monitoring tool to achieve efficient workflows.
- Make life easier for customers overwhelmed by choice (and for yourself): only recommend one or, at most, two dishes. Less is more!
- Make sure you always have plenty of change in the register.
- Always prepare for the next day on the evening before.
The dishwashing area provides further opportunities for economy. Start with using a commercial dishwasher and you will already have gained a lot in both time and money. That is because the wash cycles are extremely short, lasting just three to five minutes. That keeps the crockery circulating and keeps waiting to a minimum at peak times. And your guests will receive smooth and reliable service, which can only be good for sales! Your guests will be happy because they can order food and drink whenever they like – so really they are happy about spending more!
What other benefits are there to using a commercial dishwasher? Well, they are not only faster than domestic dishwashers, they are also more economical: an undercounter commercial dishwasher is water and energy efficient.
Restaurant dishwashing machines can deal with consistently large loads. That is what they have been designed for and they are incredibly reliable. You can see the impact on your figures – provided the commercial dishwashing machine is maintained regularly and you follow the manufacturer's care instructions. You should also ensure that your staff receive training and are aware of these needs. Our top-notch reliability combined with perfectly tailored customer service will save you time and improve your profits.
Invest in well thought-through workflows, in your employees and in the right technology. That will save you time in this competitive industry. And that will save you money. Commercial dishwashing machines can be decisive in this matter: speeding up processes in the dishwashing area and making a significant contribution to the financial success of food services companies, hotels and caterers.
While we're on the topic: our segment entitled ‘Financial health check for food service businesses: 5 tips on how restaurateurs should calculate their ROI’ provides guidance for food service entrepreneurs on how to keep their finances under control and drive their business forward.